What is symbiosis
What is Symbiosis
- Living things that feed off other living things are called parasites.
- Living things that depend on each other to live are called symbiotic.
- Many tropical rainforest trees have a symbiotic relation with fungi on their roots. The fungi get energy from trees and return give the trees phosphorus and other nutrients.
- Leaf cutter ants cut up leaves and line their nests not far for themselves, but for the fungi which grow on the leaves. The ants eat the fungi.
- A phyte is a plant that grows high up on other plants.
- Epiphytes are plants that grow high up on other plants, especially in tropical rain forests.
- Saprophytes are plats and fungi that depend on decomposing material, not sunlight, for sustenance.
Post Tags: symbiosis, animals, what are symbiosis, symbiotic, plants, phyte, Epiphytes, Saprophytes