- Dicots are plants that sprout two leaves from their seeds.
- There are about 175,000 dicots – over three – quarter of all flowering plants.
- Dicots include most garden plants, shrubs and trees as well as flowers such as magnolias, roses, geraniums and hollyhocks.
- Dicots grow slowly and at least 50% have woody stems.
- The flowers of dicots have sets of four or five petals.
- Most dicots have branching stems and a single main root called a taproot.
- The leaves of dicots usually have a network of veins rather than parallel viens.
- Dicots usually have a later of ever-growing cells near the outside of the stems called the cambium.
Post Tags: dicots, Dicotyledons, plants, seeds, monocotyledons