Types of Plant Cuttings Used To Propagate New Plants
Stem cuttings are out growing stems or mature sprouts or tip cuttings. Many types of stem cuttings may be taken.
- Soft wood cuttings are from the young soft tips of stems. Usually the soft wood cuttings are taken in the Spring from fast growing tips of stock plants.
- Tip or shoot cuttings
herbaceous plants such as tropical or house
- plants. These plants do not usually develop woody stems.
- Green wood cuttings are from the soft tip or stem after the spring growth has slowed down. The stem is somewhat harder and woody than the soft wood cutting.
- Semi-ripe cuttings are taken during the late summer after the annual growth has slowed down. The stem is harder than soft wood or green wood cuttings.
- Hard wood cuttings are from dormant fully mature stems, usually from the current years growth.