Plant Quarantine Measures
Plant Quarantine – Is the name given to the process of isolating in sealed rooms, plants and plant materials suspected of being diseased or as having potential of carrying or having diseases?
- To prevent the introduction of pest and diseases.
- To enable the eradication of certain pest and diseases.
- To prevent the spread of pest and diseases
Three plant protection measures taken at ports in the control of pests and diseases.
- A permit is required to import plant materials
- Plant materials should be imported in areas where there is little risk of introducing pests and diseases.
- A health certificate at the point of entry indicates that the plant was examined is free from pest and diseases.
Two plant quarantine measures that can be taken in a particular area of a country.
- Isolate the area of the country that is suspected of having disease.
- Plant only diseased free plants.
- Remove from his field and burn any plant contaminated.
- Spray with insecticide.