ELEMENTS OF DESIREABLE HABITS AND WORK ETHICS
- Be prepared to work without supervision.
- Know what you have to do and do it without having to be reminded.
- Be enthusiastic about your work.
- Be keen to accept responsibilities and face new challenges.
- Make careful notes of all deadlines for work.
- Develop a detailed plan of what needs to be done by a specified time so that the deadlines can be met comfortably.
- Use reminder systems.
- Ensure that dates and times are correct and agreed upon.
- Ensure that assignments are allotted reasonable time for completion
- Be willing to work together with others to achieve common goals.
- Accept responsibility as a group member for the outcomes of the group’s activities.
- Come up with ideas, even if they are not eventually accepted by the group.
- Do your fair share of the group’s activities.
- Be willing to listen and accept other people’s ideas.
- Modify your own ideas to fit with emerging plans and decisions.
- Work together with others to achieve common goals and share in decision making.
Recognition of diversity:
- Recognise that each individual has different strengths, weaknesses, talents and skills.
- Do not expect that others will think and act exactly the way you would.
- Show equal respect and courtesy to persons of all ethic groups.
- Avoid prejudice of all kinds.
- It is said that courtesy is the oil that reduces the friction caused when we interact with others. It is important for us to be courteous at all times.
- Be polite in your dealings with all people.
- Make it your habit to greet people upon entering a room.
- Learn how to introduce yourself to strangers that you meet in the course of your work.
- When answering the telephone state the name of the organization and then state your name.
- Use expressions such as please, thank you, I am sorry, how may I help?, you welcome.
Punctuality and regularity:
Being punctual and regular contributes to efficiency and helps you to become reliable.
- Always arrive in good time. Make allowances for unexpected delays such as traffic congestion or vehicles breakdowns.
- Be on time for all appointments.
- Avoid being absent, especially for trivial reasons.
Good grooming improves self-confidence and will eventually be a good sales pitch for you and your future employer.
- Ensure that your appearance is neat and consistent with the requirement s of your workplace.
- If a uniform is used, conform to all the requirements.
- Long hair should be tied back so that it does not fall into your face or cover your eyes.
- Fingernails should be kept short enough to allow efficient use of the keyboard.
- Do not wear dangling earrings or long necklaces.
- Be trustworthy in all matters.
- Be honest.