TOPIC: COMMUNICATION DEVICES AND MEDIA
OBJECTIVE: Distinguish between communication devices and communication media.
- A communication device- is a physical part that enables one computer to communicate with another.
- The modem-is a communication device.
- Communication media– are the links via which the signals are transmitted. Communication media include cables, telephone lines and electromagnetic waves such as radio, satellite or cellular telephone.
- Networks-allow computer to communicate with each other and share resources.
- A local area network (LAN) connects computers within an office or building.
- A wide area network (WAN) connects computers over a large geographic area such as a city or country.
- The Internet is an international network that links together millions of computers.
- Cellular networks- allow people to communicate using mobile telephone.
- Telecommunication-is the sending and receiving of data by means of cable or wireless devices.